+44 (0)845 257 6058
About James Blick
James is one of the principals of TheJudge and the head of the company’s US operations.
With over a decade of experience in litigation finance, James specializes in arranging bespoke funding solutions for high-value and complex commercial disputes. He has brokered financing arrangements in numerous jurisdictions and across a wide range of dispute types, including international arbitration (both commercial and investment treaty), group litigation, securities actions, competition and anti-trust, intellectual property and award enforcement.
James is regularly engaged by clients and law firms to advise on litigation funding matters. He has also designed and implemented numerous tailored insurance and funding portfolio facilities for law firms.
James has a particular specialism in intellectual property litigation and has worked on numerous high profile IP disputes in multiple jurisdictions.
An acknowledged expert in the field, James is a regular speaker on the topic of litigation funding at conferences and events around the world, such as R3 Conferences, IBC IP Dispute Resolution Conferences, BILA, IP Dealmakers Forum, Swedish Arbitration Association and the Madrid Court of Arbitration. His conversations have been shared on global social media forums and he regularly contributes to legal and industry publications, including Solicitors Journal, Barrister Magazine, Patent World Magazine and Commercial Litigation Journal. James was recently recognized by The Lawyer magazine as a ‘Star Legal Writer’ in their Awards Shortlist edition for his article ‘The Price of Victory: The Litigation Funding Process’.
Prior to joining TheJudge in 2008, James worked for an insurance company which was subsequently acquired by a major litigation funder, where he handled complex and large loss litigation claims.
James is a licensed property, casualty and surplus lines insurance broker, holding producer licenses in 46 states.
James has a BA in History from Royal Holloway University of London, a Post-Graduate Diploma in Law from the University of Sussex and completed the LPC at Guildford College of Law. James speaks fluent French.
- Arranged funding for a Swedish arbitration in the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce
- Brokered financing for a major patent enforcement program in the US, involving simultaneous claims against multiple targets.
- Structured a multi-layer insurance program for a large group action being brought by shareholders of a major UK financial institution
- Secured substantial litigation insurance for IPCom in Nokia Corporation v IPCom GmbH & Co KG  EWHC 2719 (Pat).
- Brokered a combined litigation financing and insurance structure for the claimant in Community Gateway Association Limited v Beha Williams Norman Limited  TCC.
- Structured a litigation insurance package for the claimant in Hawksford Trustees v Stella Global UK Limited & Anor  EWCA Civ 987.
- Secured a substantial insurance policy for a UK generics company suing a large pharmaceutical company for revocation of a patent.
- Brokered a combined litigation insurance and funding arrangement involving 2 A-rated ATE insurance providers and 3 third party funders, providing an aggregate £6m funding facility for a large group action proceeding outside of the UK.
- Created a bespoke litigation funding and insurance panel arrangement for Lewis Silkin LLP.
- Brokered several ATE insurance facilities for substantial lender clients pursuing large volumes of surveyor and solicitor negligence claims following the repossession of mortgaged property.